Welcome to the vibrant city of Athens, Greece, where ancient history meets modern charm. Your journey begins as soon as you arrive at the airport or port. In this guide, we’ll help you navigate your way from these entry points to the heart of Athens, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable start to your adventure.
From Athens International Airport
Athens International Airport, Eleftherios Venizelos, is the primary gateway to the city. To reach the center of Athens from the airport, you have several convenient options:
- Taxis are readily available at the designated taxi rank outside the arrivals area.
- The journey to the city center takes approximately 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Make sure the taxi meter is on, or agree on a fixed fare before starting your journey.
- The Athens Metro is a reliable and cost-effective way to reach the city center.
- Follow the signs to the metro station located at the airport.
- Take Line 3 (Blue Line) towards Aghia Marina and disembark at Monastiraki or Syntagma stations.
- The journey takes around 40 minutes, and trains run every 30 minutes.
- Public buses (X95) operate 24/7, connecting the airport to Syntagma Square.
- Buses depart from the arrivals level and take approximately 45 minutes to reach the city center.
- Tickets can be purchased from the bus driver or at the airport’s transportation kiosks.
From Piraeus Port
If you’re arriving in Athens by ferry at Piraeus Port, getting to the city center is a breeze:
- The Athens Metro Line 1 (Green Line) connects Piraeus Port with the city center.
- Board the metro at Piraeus Station and travel towards Kifisia.
- Disembark at Monastiraki or Omonia stations, both located in the heart of Athens.
Taxis are available at Piraeus Port, and the journey to the city center takes around 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.
Suburban Railway (Proastiakos):
- The suburban railway connects Piraeus to Athens’ central railway stations.
- Take the Proastiakos train and alight at Larissis or Athens Railway Station.
- Athens Transport Ticket: Consider purchasing a 24-hour or 3-day Athens Transport Ticket, which provides unlimited access to public transportation (metro, buses, and trams) within the city.
- Currency: Ensure you have some euros on hand for taxi fares and transportation tickets.
You are now ready to embark on your Athenian adventure! With these transportation options from the airport and port, you’ll find yourself in the heart of Athens, ready to explore its rich history, vibrant culture, and breathtaking sights.